Colonel Alisha Smith is the Commander, 59th Medical Operations Group, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. Her command consists of a multi-campus organization with over 1,300 medical professionals in 43 specialties providing operational and expeditionary medical care to over 254,000 beneficiaries. As commander, she oversees a $91 million budget, serves as a principal medical advisor to the 59th Medical Wing Commander, and is responsible for support to 59 Joint Graduate Medical Education and Graduate Allied Health Education programs. Colonel Smith collaborates with 200 medical partners to achieve the comprehensive delivery of safe, efficient, high quality, and value-driven outcomes in the Department of Defense’s largest ambulatory surgical care facility with a level IV Emergency Room in order to build and sustain the highest degree of Readiness of nine platforms for contingency war mobilization and Homeland Defense plans.
Colonel Smith received a direct commission in the Medical Service Corps after serving as a Communication and Navigation Journeyman in the Air Force Reserves. Her diverse career incorporates leadership at squadron, wing, major command, and headquarters level. She has completed the Air Command Staff College & Air War College in-residence programs and most recently earned her Doctorate Degree in Health Sciences from A.T. Still University. Colonel Smith has also had the honor of serving in two deployed locations supporting Expeditionary Medical Groups, as the Administrator. She is married with a daughter..
1998 Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, University of West Florida
2000 Master of Public Administration, Troy State University, Troy, Ala.
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala. by correspondence
2007 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Financial Management Fellowship, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
2008 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala. by correspondence
2011 Master of Science, Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala. by correspondence
2015 Master of Science, Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2018 Doctor of Health Sciences and Global Health Studies, A.T. Still University, Kirksville, Mo.
1. September 2001–January 2003, Element Chief, TRICARE and Patient Admin, 96th Medical Group, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. (November 2002–June 2003, Chief, Medical Control Center, 320th Expeditionary Medical Group, Seeb AB, Oman)
2. January 2003–June 2004, Executive Officer, 96th Medical Group, Eglin AFB, Fla.
3. June 2004–January 2006, Flight Commander, TRICARE/Patient Admin & Resource Management, 9th Medical Group, Beale AFB, Calif.
4. January 2006–June 2007, Group Practice Manager, 9th Medical Group, Beale AFB, Calif.
5. June 2007–July 2008, Fellow, Financial Management, Air Force Materiel Command, Office of the Command Surgeon, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. July 2008–August 2010, Resource Management Flight Commander, 88th Medical Group, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio (August 2008–January 2009, Administrator, 386th Expeditionary Medical Group, Ali Al Salem AB, Kuwait)
7. August 2010–June 2011, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. June 2011–December 2012, Senior Strategic Medical Planner, Strategic Medical Plans Division, Office of the Surgeon General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
9. December 2012–July 2013, Deputy Chief, Strategic Medical Plans Division, Office of the Surgeon General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
10. July 2013–July 2015, Commander, 377th Medical Support Squadron, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
11. July 2015–June 2016, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. June 2016–July 2019, Commander, 633nd Medical Support Squadron, JB Langley-Eustis, Va.
13. July 2019–July 2021, Commander, 52nd Medical Group, Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany
14. July 2021–Present, Commander, 59th Medical Operations Group, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
11. May 2015–April 2016, Command Surgeon General, Train, Advise, Assist Command-Air (TAAC-Air)-Afghanistan and 438th Air Expeditionary Wing, OQAB, Kabul, Afghanistan
12. June 2016–June 2017, student, National War College, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
13. July 2017–June 2019, Director, National Center for Medical Intelligence, Defense Intelligence Agency, Fort Detrick, Md.
14. July 2019–present, Commander, 59th Medical Operations Group, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Recognition Ribbon
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with “V” device and three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
National Defense Service Medal
2013 USAF Surgeon General’s Clinic of the Year, Kirtland AFB
2014 USAF Surgeon General Personnel Reliability Program Team of the Year
2014 Association of Military Surgeons of the United States Management and Administrator of the Year
2017 USAF Commitment to Service Award
2019 US Armed Forces Europe-AFAFRICA Air Force Surgeon General’s Dental Clinic of the Year, Spangdahlem AB
2019 USAF Society of United States Air Force Flight Surgeons Team of the Year
2020 US Armed Forces Europe-AFAFRICA Air Force Surgeon General’s Outstanding Medical Home Team of the Year, Spangdahlem AB
2020 US Armed Forces Europe-AFAFRICA Air Force Surgeon General’s Clinic of the Year, Spangdahlem AB
2020 USAF Society of United States Air Force Flight Surgeons Team of the Year
2020 USAF Surgeon General Personnel Reliability Program Team of the Year
2020 DoD High Reliability Organization, Culture of Safety Award, Spangdahlem AB
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
American Hospital Association
The Links, Incorporated
EFFECTIVE DATES OF RANK
First Lieutenant May 20, 2001
Captain May 20, 2003
Major July 1, 2008
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2012
Colonel June 1, 2019
(Current as of July 2021)