Colonel David C. Walmsley is the Commander, 59th Training Group, Joint Base San Antonio - Fort Sam Houston, Texas. As commander, he has the responsibility of providing medical service and medical readiness training for 15,000 students annually at Fort Sam Houston, three geographically separated operating locations and 17 nonresident sites throughout the United States. Col Walmsley leads 450 Air Force staff who are responsible for training 165 resident, mobile courses and symposia. He oversees the national accreditation and certification of 14 Group courses. Previously, Colonel Walmsley served as the Deputy Commander of the 959th Medical Group and was dual hatted as the Chief of Quality Services at Brooke Army Medical Center, the DoDs largest MTF and sole Level I Trauma Center. He also commanded the 20th Medical Support Squadron and 2d Medical Operations Squadron and has worked on the Market Director’s staff for the San Antonio Military Health System and National Capital Region Medical Directorate.
1992 Bachelors of Science in Pharmacy, Albany College of Pharmacy of Union University, Albany, New York
1999 Squadron Officer School (Correspondence)
2001 Masters of Science in Health Services Administration, Central Michigan University, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2002 Squadron Officer School (Residence)
2004 Air Command and Staff College (Non-Residence)
2008 Air Command and Staff College (Residence)
2008 Masters of Military Operational Art and Science, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama
2011 Air War College (Non-Residence)
2016 Air War College (Residence)
2016 Masters of Strategic Studies, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama
2018 Basic Certificate in Quality and Safety, Institute for Healthcare Improvement Open School
1. September 1997 – April 1998, Staff Pharmacist, 74th Medical Support Squadron, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2. April 1998 – January 2000, Chief, Outpatient Pharmacy Services, 74th Medical Support Squadron, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. January 2000 – September 2000, Chief, Inpatient Pharmacy Services, 74th Medical Support Squadron, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. September 2000 – July 2001 – Chief, Pharmacy Services, 66th Medical Support Squadron, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
5. July 2001 – June 2004 – Diagnostics and Therapeutics Flight Commander, 66th Medical Support Squadron, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
6. June 2004 – July 2007 – Diagnostics and Therapeutics Flight Commander, 374th Medical Support Squadron, Yokota AB, Japan
7. July 2007- June 2008 – ACSC Student, Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. July 2008 - July 2010 – Chief, Pharmacy Training Programs, 382d Training Squadron, Sheppard AFB, Texas
9. July 2010 – March 2011 – Chief, USAF Pharmacy Training Programs, 382d Training Squadron, METC Ft Sam Houston, Texas
10. March 2011- May 2012 – Chief, Health Care Acquisitions, San Antonio Military Health Care System San Antonio, Texas
11. June 2012 – August 2014 – Commander, 20th Medical Support Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
12. September 2014 – July 2015 – Chief for Market Strategies, National Capital Region Medical Directorate, Bethesda, Md.
13. July 2015 – May 2016 – AWC Student, Air War College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
14. June 2016 – June 2018 – Commander, 2nd Medical Operations Squadron, Barksdale Air Force Base, La.
15. July 2018 – June 2020 – Deputy Commander 959th Medical Group, Joint Base San Antonio – Ft Sam Houston, Texas
16. June 2020 – Present – Commander 59th Training Group, Joint Base San Antonio – Ft Sam Houston, Texas
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with Six Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Four Oak Leaf Clusters